Monday, April 12, 2010

Dressing up the LBD

In my last blog, I mentioned that I had to attend multiple events before my final semester of college comes to a close. After surveying my (and my roommate’s) closet, it has come to my attention that I have four Little Black Dresses (LBDs) that I could wear, all of varying necklines and cuts. In true fashion of a poor yet resourceful college student, I am determined to work with what I have. The problem is, well, its spring! Isn’t wearing all black all the time going to get boring? The answer is no, at least not with the proper accessories.

The All-Occasion LBD
Just recently, I picked up a New York & Co. LBD at a second-hand store for $5. It’s one of those dresses that is flattering on anyone, can be dressed up or down, worn for work or play. With a scoop neck and a bodice that sits nicely in all of the right places, it’s the type of cut that is flattering on almost any body. But, worn alone, it’s boring as all hell. Paired up properly, however, and it could really stand out. Add in a bold statement necklace and a bright pair of heels, and the dress will speak for itself. Or a belt and a bangle. By itself, the dress will look like I’m off to a day at the office. But after putting only a few dollars down for some accessories or a new pair of bright heels, it will look like a brand new outfit.

The Timeless LBD
Last weekend, I raided my roommate’s closet and borrowed a low-cut black maxi dress with a crotched back to wear to a dinner. With all of these details, this dress was making major statements of its own already, and needed very little help to bring it up to par. I added some gold hoops and bangles, and a simple vintage cocktail ring. In order to focus attention on the extremely low neckline and the back, I swept my hair up. With some dramatic cat-eyes and a pair of gold wedged heels, I called it a night. Without these accessories and attention to minor detail, however, the dress would have fallen flat; I would have looked like I was attending my aunt’s wedding rather than a college dinner social.






The Modern-Yet-Classic LBD
Another LBD that I re-discovered was a little silk Zara number that was hiding in the back of my closet that I had found on the clearance rack in New York City, marked down from $60 to $19.99. A modern twist on a classic dress, this dress features a sweetheart neckline, with a lace upper body. Thus, it requires no necklace. Again, this is a dress that makes its own statement in the design, requiring an up-do and no necklace. For this one, I choose to go with a bold multi-strand pearl bracelet and over-sized pearl earrings. Simple black pumps and simple makeup keep it looking classy. Too many accessories with this dress will make it look gaudy; not enough and it looks stuffy, almost funeral-like. Finding the balance between the two is key.


The Sassy LBD
For my twenty-first birthday, I bought a more risqué LBD (which one of my friends inevitably dubbed “the naked dress,” because the neckline dipped so low in the front, and only a braided rope of fabric held the back together) for a mere $14.99 from T.J. Maxx. This dress was wild, so I went all out. I wore the gold wedges which I ended up bringing back for the maxi dress at last weekend’s event, and painted my nails coral. Yet again, a necklace proved to be unnecessary, so I skipped that. I instead wore a bold gold cuff, just as bold gold earrings and a turquoise vintage cocktail ring. At the time my hair was short and the weather was hot, so I wore it away from my face as best I could and kept my makeup simple.

Irregardless of the fact that the dress was revealing, I still managed to keep a level of classiness in it by ensuring that it fit properly and, yet again, pairing the proper accessories with it.

The true sign of a fashionable woman is her ability to work with what she has, no matter what the size of her wardrobe or her budget. And always, always accessorize! (Just don’t ever overdo it.) Find one (or four) great LBDs that work for your shape, and work with them. Don’t always stick to the same accessories and shoes, either. Rotate your selection, and you will constantly create new and exciting outfits.

No comments:

Post a Comment